Monday, January 29, 2024

Blog Post #1 - Top Five News Sources

 In an age of technology where society is constantly consuming the media around them, it is necessary that we have some control of what we consume. It is also crucial that we are receiving information from reliable and trustworthy sources. However, this is easier said than done as content can now be created by anyone.

Social Media

I would have to argue that the majority of news and information I receive is from social media platforms, including Instagram and TikTok. Although these may not be the most reliable, they cover a variety of topics and often present both sides of a story. I do enjoy that I am able to interact with certain posts that focus on pressing issues and determine where I stand on the issues. Finally, I like that I am able to somewhat filter the news that appears on my feed based on the pages I follow. As a journalism student, I try to follow a few news organizations, such as the publications listed below, on these platforms so that I am consuming information from reputable sources.

Washington Post

The Washington Post has been one of my favorite publications recently, especially when keeping up with the 2024 presidential election. They cover a wide variety of news, but I typically focus on the politics and international news. One feature that I highly recommend to others is the Post's podcast The 7This is especially helpful to those who don't have a lot of time in their day to be reading long news stories. This podcast quickly reviews the top headlines of each week day and includes brief summaries of some of the most hard-hitting stories.

New York Times

The New York Times is another publication that I will often use as a source of information. I don't feel I check this website as often as I do the Post, but it is very similar in the way it provides a variety of news and is updated frequently. Something that I really love about the Times are the writers. I appreciate that they are accurate and concise when telling a story. I tend to find the most engaging and compelling stories on the Times.

CNN

When it comes to broadcast news, I tend to watch CNN as it is convenient and easily accessible. They produce a daily broadcast that is only ten minutes covering a few of the most newsworthy stories. As someone with a busy schedule, I find this extremely helpful and enlightening. They are engaging with images and links and provide quick news when on the go. 

Word of Mouth

My final source of news and information would be those I surround myself with. I often discuss current events with my friends and family leading to a relationship where we inform each other. I am someone who really enjoys being present in life and to do this, I often limit my screen time on devices such as my phone and laptop. During times like these, I receive most of my information about what is happening in our world through the discussions I have with others rather than from direct sources of news. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog Post - My Relationship with Technology

  It's not often that I sit and analyze my own personal relationship with technology, and I think this is mainly because it is so integr...